Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Perks & Benefits

Do you ever feel like being a mommy somehow changed your life??? Well, duh, it DOES change your life. Suddenly you have these little creatures that you love more than life itself and almost overnight you morph into a "real" mommy. When it was just myself and my husband, I cooked sometimes, but now I can cook an entire meal with barely any prepration and few groceries in the house. When did I learn to do that? I can still recall the day I realized I could breast feed my son while spoon feeding my daughter her yummy goo and even eat my own lunch. And that very same day I realized my husband needed more than two hands to warm a bottle! True story! I promise.
It seems odd that somehow, I knew my world would forever be changed, but I didn't fully realize how much I would be changed. My best friend recently told me when her husband asked what she wanted for Christmas this year her reply was "a wife". I love that! I told her maybe we could share one. I think mail order brides stille exist, maybe we could go havsies and just not marry the person!! Surely that would work.
For the most part my mommy changes have been positive. I think the one thing I'm not certain I understand, is my tendancy to put my feelings on the back burner. My husband works and therefore he "deserves" time off. Time away from work, away from me and the kids, time doing things he enjoys. But what about me? When is my time off? Am I a horrible person for wanting a break, not just from house work, but from my husband and yes even my adorable little angels? And why do I think if this was a situation in my previous jobs I would be more likely to speak to the "boss" about my feelings? As a stay at home mom, what do I deserve?

No comments: