Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dookie Lovin'

A little over a year ago I had to put my cat to sleep. That phrase has always bothered me and typing it was even more awkward. Dookie was my first pet outside of my parent's home and I had him longer than I've had my husband. His actual name was Tab, but he preferred Dookie. That was definitely the worst day in my life and considering I've lost some loved ones recently that might seem callous, but he didn't just die, I had to make the final decision. Anyway, I have two other cats, and I love them both too, but they just aren't the same as Dookie. I always told my husband he better be glad I couldn't kiss a cat to make my prince, because Dookie was the perfect man for me:) Little Miss Naughty, one of my other cats, is a precious little thing and her role is to be the baby and her sister BoBo, well that one tolerates human contact, but since the death of Dookie has stepped up and "allowed" us to love on her too. Last Summer we (I) added another cat to our brood to bring the total back in balance. Hey, I like the odd numbers. Cookie Dough is an extra special cat, not only do I have another He, but he comes from my Granma's farm. Cookie is now what I would call a tween, he's not a toddler but not quite an adolescent yet. He has grown into such a beautiful cat and I can already tell he will be bigger than his sisters.
Just recently I realized how much I had missed my Dookie and his special Dookie Lovin. I can't explain the difference really, but there is a distinct difference in the relationship he and I shared and the ones I have with Naughty and BoBo. I always said he was my boyfriend kittie. Nothing sexual or weird, just a purposeful affection he gave only to me and no one else. Naughty craves attention and will rub on anyone that will let her. BoBo still only tolerates people and her love is special in the sense that you feel so honored when she actually acknowledges you, but she doesn't really like to be petted and loved on. Then there is Cookie. I have another boyfriend kittie! My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I don't care. I really like having that back in my life. Whatever THAT is! I just know that Cookie gives me special lovin that he doesn't give the kids or my husband and he even managed to find my special sleeping spot. My pillow! Oh, how sweet it is to once again slumper to the sweet, sweet sound of purring.

PS But don't tell my daughter. Cookie is her cat!

No comments: