Monday, September 1, 2008

Living In The Moment

This has been a great weekend. Saturday we got the kids bikes and even though it has been sweaty work, it has been so much fun. One of the great things was seeing their faces and pride when they mastered riding the bikes. And it was great for me to have another first moment. They are getting to ages where I'm not only watching them grow up, but also feeling the loss of my little babies. They've already had their first smiles, first steps and first words and seeing them on the new bikes reminded me they will have so many more first moments. It helps to know that as they grow up, I will still have so many moments to watch "my babies" learn new things.
It also made me wonder if there will be any new firsts for me and my husband. We've had our first kiss, our first dance, our first home, etc. And quite frankly, I miss the anticipation leading up to so many of the "firsts" in a new relationship. While it's nice to be at the no make-up, you've seen me at all of my worst moments, I still miss the "newness" feeling. Why? Isn't the point to get the comfortable factor? Why does it seem that whatever phase I'm in, I wish for a different one? Aahh, life is so simple!
And I also realize that just like with my children, we will have more firsts. True most of them will involve our children, but their will be more opportunities to share in new things. I guess adapting to our current phase is the key and just wishing for the old spark is something. Maybe getting to the comfortable phase and still wanting the initital passion leading to a first kiss is what it takes to keep the spark alive. It's liking the comortable and not wanting change or excitiment that is something to worry about.
In the meantime, I'll just live in the moment, whatever that might be!

No comments: