Friday, September 12, 2008

Times They are a Changin'

When I last wrote, I was feeling guility over the tiny bit of pleasure I occasionally feel at my husband's expense. Well, that hasn't really changed, but there has been a unique twist. On vacation over the weekend my youngest woke up extra cranky from a nap. Poor thing, he was probably out for the night, but we made him get up and really messed him up. Anyway, he was fairly useless the rest of the evening and I was just doing my best to appease him and ingore the comments from my dad and husband. After all, I'm the mother, I know what's best for my kids! Sorry, back to the point. After dinner little man is in my lap, I'm rocking him and I'm the only thing he wants. He's not being cranky or really whiney, just content in my lap. I look up at my husband watching us and I realize, he's jealous. OK, jealous is probably not the correct word, but envious of the fact that little man was content in my lap. And I began thinking, he probably feels that way quite a bit. Even his little princess goes through mommy spells and when she is sick or upset, only mommy has the magical touch. I can't really imagine what it must be like to be him, on the outside looking in. Because he works and I stay home, I'm privy to all the little ins and outs of my children. I know better than they do, what makes them tick. What will help different situations. I'm always in the loop as to what is their favorite anything of the moment and I really take that for granted. I'm sometimes jealous of the amount of time my husband gets to spend away from the house and away from me and the kids. Not anymore. I would never want to trade my insider secrets for anything! And I need to make sure my husband feels in the loop and not like an outsider looking in. Of course, I won't share any of my magical mommy secrets with him... let him figure out his own kind of daddy magic!

No comments: